Monday, May 7, 2007

Competition and shortages

As I mentioned in the past, our employer is kind of out in the country and many employees live in West Knoxville. Well this week they announced that they are going to provide a bus service to work. It won't be as flexible or as nice as our service (i.e. we've got nice cloth seats and an internet connection while-u-wait, AND its closer to home) but its got us concerned...not that we're petty, but we took a lot of risk and are making some financial sacrifices to provide our coop commuter service (we REALLY need an acronym...any advice?) We have a meeting scheduled to see if we can get some kind of "sponorship", I hope they're willing to help us.

But this is really the least of our worries now. The shortages have me MAJORLY concerned. Since I've followed Peak Oil, its made me aware of our massive dependence on cheap energy and the benefits it provides us. Shortages are not part of that ideal world. I tried to sleep last night and couldn't, the most familiar analogy I have is Sept.11, when I wondered if that day would be an anomaly or the shape of things to come.

Needless to say, we've canceled our beach trip...

No comments: