Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Growing your own Frankenfood

Week 14 notes

There is considerable appeal to growing your own food. I have to say I’ve tried it some and its great fun. I’m worried, however, about whether I could grow enough on my property to sustain anything, let alone feed my family of 5 (including me). As PeakProphet showed in one of his great posts, there are a lot of things that just grow in your back yard (or front yard for me!) that are edible, and the Internet offers a lot of resources for discovering how to actually identify these things. Some time ago I used to use GardenForum a lot – you could post a picture of some weed or native plant growing in your yard, ask “what is this”, and BAM! In a few hours someone would tell you what it was. And, of course, reference books are great too. One of my favorites is a 1950s Army survival book I got at Amazon. Another great one is “Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places” by Steve Brill. There are tons of resources on wild edibles you can find at your favorite bookstore. And I think learning this is a very positive thing. I remember another great book, “Guns Germs and Steel” by Jared Diamond, where he told you if you met a guy from New Guinea, he would likely ask you what kind of plants were good to eat where you live. I’m afraid most of us would look like morons to this gentleman, since we don’t really have much concept of what grows wild around us, let alone whats good to eat. (There’s a dark side to meeting this fellow from New Guinea, too, and I’ll talk about that in the future.)

Other great books are concerned with growing food in small places. Things like the permaculture handbook “Gaia’s Garden” by Hemingway…”Lasagna Gardening” by Patricia Lanza…the list goes on and on. Again, I think it’s a positive thing to know about these methods and learn, and above all to plant green growing things and get back to nature, however you can. And above all, start planting! Don’t worry if its too late in the season. This year I started planting, even though I didn’t have my raised beds ready. The stuff I planted may not amount to anything, but its growing now, and it will be interesting to see what happens. Another great source and inspiration is ediblelandscaping.com which sells plants that are great for landscaping any home. They look good, grow well, and are edible to boot.

But sadly, I worry whether this type of agriculture can produce the food we need to truly survive and thrive. Even victory gardens in WWII were not intended to provide all a family’s needs, they were intended to reduce pressure on the food supply and increase morale (you could feel empowered that you were doing SOMETHING). I suspect it also helped people think about nature and the circle of life, etc, which is terribly poignant during such tragic times. A world without oil would be in the same position.

Although I’m a techie, I’m not a believer in Deus ex machina of science, that somehow something great will be invented somewhere and deployed to Save Us All.
But let’s give our imaginations a trial, here. In a past post I posited that if local food production became super vital, the Government could very well seize under utilized land and start producing vegetables. I’d prefer that they let the Free Market do its magic in its own odd way, because I believe somewhat in the product and services evolution that comes from capitalism, but in reality I suspect they’d take the land, bid it out to someone like ADM so they could say they used the market, and they’d set to work on it with underpaid, underinsured serfs to Feed Us. But let’s continue on. Supposed we truly wanted to empower people to grow their own gardens in places that are currently small and underutilized. While I am not a fan of genetic engineering but if we truly face a World Without Oil and food shortages are critical, don’t be surprised at what kind of compromises the world may make. Think about oak trees that were genetically enhanced to produce sweet acorns. Supposedly such a thing exits – there are sometimes oak trees whose acorns don’t have the usual amount of tannins in them. Oak trees take a LONG time to grow, but suppose modern genetics could create these things by simply inoculating existing stands of trees. (I’m not a biologist, but isn’t this what we do with genetic therapies?) You get someone to stand there with a gun and shoot the squirrels and birds that would be drawn to such a thing (and eat them, of course), then come harvest time you get a bounty of non-tannic acorns. Is it possible? Or think about kudzu. Its invasive around here, but it IS edible. What if some FrankenKudzu could also produce better tasting flowers, roots and leaves? The possibilities are endless, though clearly it would take a major R&D effort by a bunch of underpaid scientists working on a great Manhattan Project style undertaking. Sounds like something that would happen during a great world crisis…if there is time…

(OOG: this is a work a fiction for the worldwithoutoil.org experiment.)

5 comments:

WorldWithoutToil said...

I love the Idea, but the major problem with frankenfoods is the matter of control. The company who paid the scientists to design it would want to profit by it. And in order to dothat, they couldn't just release it to the public. They'd have to charge for it. And to keep that paradign up, they'd have to "copy protect" it, preventing it from self-seeding so that you have to keep coming back to them for the plants. No thanks.

Maybe what we need here a a civic minded Mad scientist to release their tasty-kudzu into the wild.

Jason DuMars said...

I agree with toil on this. The solution and profit are incompatible, and that means the entire infrastructure that has risen from oil will need to be completely dismantled before any real changes occur. This is NOT a pretty picture, but I'd rather have that than some corporate entity trying to "save us" so it can benefit its shareholders. Even writing that, it's so ridiculous I can't even comprehend it. There are fundamental systemic constraints in play, and we are in a state of population overshoot. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. He explains why we're in a heap of trouble, and oil is just one of the reasons.

Peak Oil Partier said...

thanks for the comments folks. The control / profit motive might be modified by a state of emergency (like the Manhattan Project in some ways) but I think another fear would be the "regular" issues with frankenfoods - how do you know your genetic mods won't "take over", so to speak...I would think in a state of emergency some safety issues would be neglected. Thanks for the recommendation on Collapse too.

Peak Oil Partier said...

Also bear in mind, I'm speculating on what may be, not suggesting it as a solution. I think concepts like alt energy will not do the job but other things that we cannot imagine may well evolve and offer different solutions. I really don't think we'll ever match our current standard of living, however, in the world without oil.

Charles Leonard said...

Frankenfoods were a baaad idea when they were first introduced, and they're a worse idea now. For one thing, you can't grow a seed crop, meaning you're entirely dependent on agribiz. For another, we don't really know what these foods do to our bodies -- they are engineered to have powerful poisons in their genetic code, toxins that can't be washed off.

What we need to do is propagate the seeds that the wise owners of seed banks have been saving.