Tuesday, May 1, 2007

World Without Oil...Introduction

OK, I became of the peak oil concept a few years back and it makes perfect sense. Whether its here now, in 40 years, or if we have CERA's "undulating plateau", most scientific minds agree the oil supply is finite. However "world without oil" is a misnomer since "Peak Oil" really means the end of CHEAP oil. A post on Alternet a few years back ( http://www.alternet.org/story/18735/ ) mentioned peak oil, and I've become somewhat interested in the notion ever since. Ultimately it has made me much more cognizant of how complex our world is and how much we take cheap oil for granted, especially in the USA (although I daresay Europe, and the rest of the world, isn't as immune to cheap oil as many would like to believe).

So anyway my take on this game is not I'm here to educate everyone. Its more like, how does it impact me & my family? I'm a fairly conservative guy, married with 3 kids, we live in suburbia (which is what most of Knoxville is except for downtown), etc. So I'm going to think more about our expenses & habits in terms of gasoline.

No comments: