Sunday, May 6, 2007

Spam me, please

(Late week 7 post)

with the gas shortages looming I tried to think about the impact down the supply line, and I think it would be prudent to score as many canned goods as we can at this point. I asked for extra spam, too, which people make fun of all the time, but I like it frankly, and we may not be able to be too picky in the future. Also, non-perishables in general - toilet paper, soap, shampoo, diapers, etc. most of which we can save in the attic. So we dumped an extra $1000 (YOWZA!) on these things, which are currently not too scarce. We did it in shifts and tried not to draw attention, which may be paranoid but you gotta be careful too. We need to evaluate how long this will last us but hopefully we won't have to depend on it.

3 comments:

Weaseldog said...

I wandered over from "Notes from the Heartland".

Its nice to find more folks that are not only aware of the coming storm, but also trying to prepare for it.

Best of luck.

Jason DuMars said...

Buying in shifts is a really good idea. As is being discrete about bringing it inside. A little paranoia is unavoidable during a crisis situation. Also keep in mind that any durable goods you have would make excellent barter candidates as things progress. While I don't smoke and never have, I have considered having a stock of cigarettes specifically for barter. Same goes for things like whiskey and wine. If you can stock up on things that benefit you, so much the better.

How long have you lived in Tennessee?

Peak Oil Partier said...

I've lived in Tennessee (specifically EAST Tennessee) all my life except for a few years in Raleigh in grad school. Overall I think Nashville has changed the most in the state especially in the last 10 years or so.

This may be bad protocol so correct me if I'm wrong...should I reply on my blog or yours? And, I'm replying as both ME and my CHARACTER in the game, which are pretty much the same thing...I guess...anyway this is great fun about a deadly serious topic IMHO